The problem with most rack mounts for securing bikes in the back of a truck or van is how much of a pain they can be. Threading an axle through while balancing a fork can be challenging with cold hands. And between the various axle widths standards and diameters, you’ll need spare mounts in the event you want to carry a trail bike, commuter or downhill bike.
When looking for a solution for our van build, we ended up selecting our mounts in boost spacing, then cutting custom spacers (utilizing the ends of carbon bars that were cut down) to hold our boost forks securely.
Our friend Chase had discovered a product by RockyMounts that was quite simply, a better mousetrap. The RockyMounts Driveshaft is far more user friendly. The adjustable cam lever clamps the axle securely, and provides the ability to switch between the various standards with the use of shims.
- Compatibility: 12mm, 15mm, and 20mm thru-axle
- Bolt on installation into any surface
- Wide mouth opening creates easy loading, holds tight with adjustable cam lever and comes with snap in nylon shims to prevent the axle from being unscrewed and gives the ability to switch between 12mm, 15mm, and 20mm thru-axles
- Includes 15mm shims. 12mm shims sold separately
- Comes with RockyMounts locks and keys
The downside? You’ll need at least a few of these mounts, and at $75 each, the cost will add up quickly.